People lead busy lives these days, there's no doubt! It can be challenging in the midst of school, sporting events, work, play, and other obligations to keep track of what your family has checked out from the library, let alone return everything on time. So I thought in this post I would offer you some ideas for how you can avoid library fines.
- If you haven't already, ask library staff to add your email address to your library account. When we have an email address for you, the library system will send messages to tell you when materials arrive for you to pick up, as well as a message the day before your materials are due. Remember to add us to your acceptable contacts, though, or your spam or junk mail filter may prevent our messages from coming through.
- Keep the receipt we give you at the time you check out materials. Use a magnet to stick it on your fridge, so you can be reminded of the titles you checked out and when they are due.
- Check your account in InfoSoup. It will show what you have checked out, due dates, and gives you the ability to renew items online.
- Add reminders for due dates on your online or written calendar and/or reminders on your smart phone. If due dates are integrated into your life schedule, they'll become a regular task like other scheduled events.
- Sign up for ShoutBomb, our text messaging service, which will alert you when items are due and allow you to renew materials right from your phone.
- Keep all materials in the same place in your home. Create a shelf or a basket or table where everyone can keep library materials and return them there when they're done. It will save you hustling around the house later when items are due.
- When returning materials in your vehicle, put them in a bag or container that won't tip. You wouldn't believe how many library items end up under the seats of cars where they're out of sight out of mind.
- Visit the library regularly. Visiting more often will increase the chance of materials being returned on time.
Give some of these ideas a try. If you still have difficulty returning materials on time, just remember that it happens to everybody at one time or another. The good news is that library fines are kept with the library and are used to support operating costs throughout the year.