One of the best times of the year is here--the library's summer reading program! Keep your children's minds engaged all summer by participating in Build a Better World--an eight week program where reading at home meets awesome activities at the library. Reading throughout the summer helps prevent summer reading loss, and the library is your partner to help keep reading fun.
The kids' program is for children ages three through entering grade 5. Sign up at either location to pick up the first reading card. Cards can be turned in starting June 12 and continuing through August 4. Kids will earn entries into the grand prize drawing plus a coupon from a local business when cards 1, 3, and 5 are turned in, and a prize from the treasure box when cards 2, 4 and 6 are turned in. Card 7 earns each reader a free book, and card 8 earns either a book or toy prize plus a certificate.
To help us Build a Better World, hours of reading this summer are going to be tallied to help raise money for Habitat for Humanity. Our goal is 25,000 hours of reading, and that will enable us to give a $900 donation with the support of FOLKS (Friends of the Library) and Vanderloop Shoes. All that extra reading builds brains and will also help repair houses next summer at Rock the Block in Kimberly and Little Chute.
We also have a great line-up of Wednesday events for the entire family. Here is a quick overview:
- 6/14 - Bubble Wonders at 10:30AM & 1:30PM in Little Chute
- 6/21 - Nature's Niche Live Animals at 10:30AM & 1:30PM in Little Chute
- 6/28 - Mad Science Show at 10:30AM & 1:30PM in Kimberly
- 7/5 - LEGO Batman Movie at 1:30PM in Kimberly
- 7/12 - Duke Otherwise Musical Show at 10:30AM in Little Chute
- 7/19 - Daryl Roger's Magic Show at 10:30AM in Little Chute
- 7/26 - Rockin' with Leonardo at 10:30AM in Kimberly
- 8/2 - Truly Remarkable Loon Juggling Show at 10:30AM in Kimberly
We also have many Friday events:
- 6/16 - Build to the Sky Paper Sculpture Workshop at 10:30AM in Little Chute
- 7/7 - Michelle's Magical Poodles Show at 10:30AM in Kimberly
- 8/4 - Make and Take Crafts with The Learning Shop at 10:30AM in Kimberly
- Build with Bricks and Blocks on 6/23 & 7/21 at Kimberly and 6/30 & 7/14 in Little Chute from 10:30AM - Noon
We even have a special Tuesday show on June 27 in Kimberly called Animals are Builders, Too where kids can learn about animal architects and create a 3D paper spider web with artist Mary Tooley.
Build a Better World and a better reader this summer! See you soon!