1930 Kimberly Baseball Team
Front row: J. Feldhausen, W. Ladrow, L. Dopry, Arn. Pocan, Charlie Skell
Center row: Butch Thien, Ed Lynch, Geo. C. Lemmers
Back row: Nig. Verbeten, Whitey Berhrent, Dago Lamers
Photo courtesy of Carl Lemmers
Additional information gathered by local historian, Mary Lamers:
- Geo C. Lemmers center row is Carl Lemmers/Sandy Huiting's father/grandfather - George C. Lemmers ran the bowling alley in Kimberly.
- Whitey Berhrent owned "Whitey's Bar" on Main Street across/down from the bowling alley. It's an apartment building now (2013).
- Charlie Skell center row, far right, owned the bowling alley ion Kaukauna.
- Dago Lamers, back row right owned the Hardware store in Little Chute.
- Another interesting tidbit - [Mary] asked Carl the real names of Nig Verbeten, Whitey Berhrent and Dago Lamers. He didn't know - every one in town and their family called them by their nickname. The history behind this - So many Catholic families had big families and kept naming next generation after past generation. So, many times nicknames became the "real" name". [Mary] had a brother Tom, Tooty. He got his nickname because [Mary's] Uncle Tom also lived with them. Tom was 8, Tooty, a newborn when [Mary's] parents took in her mother's younger brothers and sister because both parents had died. Tom was "Tooty" until he went off to college.